The PROJECT BRIEF
As part of the information age and the constantly evolving digital landscape the way we communicate, exchange and interact has been drastically transformed. This brief asks you to engage with the notion of “intimacy”. You must create ideas, products and demonstrations that respond to our technologically mediated world. We are interested in human-centric solutions that critically engage and explore new issues and potentials for human intimacy. You must be sensitive to one or more of the following debates: Sustainability, smart products, smart cities, Open source movements, environmentalism, global epidemics and Expansion of human cognition.
WEDNESDAY 22nd OCTOBER
Day one of the interdisciplinary Cycle 2 group project, our tutor Brigitta Zics, introduces Ralph from Architecture, Angel from Fashion, Evre from Visual Effect and Me (Hamed Folarin) from Interactive Digital Media. We discussed our brief and brain storming for ideas to enhance our primary research for the project.
At this early stage in the group project we had various ideas and suggestions, however we need to focus on the brief. As the weeks progressed and the research built up we ended up looking into Augmented reality, sound, texture, material and colour to create an Intimate environment. Also a special Facebook page was created on the 23rd October 2014, to enhance communication and follow up.
My initial reflections are;
What is Intimacy? Are there any different interpretation of intimacy between cultures and does emerging technology or technology bring us closer together in a mediated tech world ?.
We were then let to consider issues such as :
1. Is intimacy any less or more prevalent our society?
2. What tactile materials and technologies could facilitate intimacy?
What I find interesting is this question did allude to the research I eventually identified regarding Microsoft Xbox Kinect technology, Arduino technology and haptic technology, but could not be taken into consideration because of time factor. The Cell uses Microsoft Xbox Kinect to track visitors as they interact with the installation. According to James Alliban.
“The Cell acts as virtual mirror, displaying a constructed fictional persona in place of our physical form. Composed from keyword tags mined from online profiles, those second selves stalk our movements through space, building in size and density over time .”
James Alliban – The Cell 2011
This would theoretically allow users to send a special tweeter feed, photo and video to their love ones.
Augmented Reality and come up with concept and demonstration for next group meeting. A demonstration by Evre of AR card, using a software call Augment and also mentioned issues around Augment implementation.
3. What human senses are engaged when facilitating intimacy
4. Imagine the future. Can scenarios be created where intimacy can be facilitated to produce beneficial outcomes for society?
We agreed time is of the essence and so if any of us begin to construct an idea for this group project to develop it and present it on Wednesday.
WEDNESDAY 29th OCTOBER
The objective this week to identify a project we each presented what research and ideas we had. It soon became clear that everyone was finding the subject a considerable challenge and no one had a clear, defining idea to move forward. However, we resolved into research the following:
- Identify our objectives and argument.
- Identify intimacy and other intimacy projects as well as coming up with different ideas.
- Suggestion of using Big Brother and My London Time lapse.
- We looking into Arduino , sensor and lightning and the theory of serendipity.
“ The idea is to make the experience more interesting than it already is. We can have just one audio setup as we talked about its , with LED lights on the floor that light up when someone approach the box (audio setup) and dims light when the person moves away. Either bamboo or thin fabric will protrude from the floor and led, allowing the LED to illuminate the material that stems from the ground. I think it’s really intimate and reflects a persons emotions when he/she hears an intimate message. I can design the setup over the weekend to show you and well see if its feasible. Initially, I think well need the audio, sensor and LED (dimmer) for this.”
- Kinect for viewing and rotation of images
- Clothing material and lightning, making them wearable and research different colour and meaning.
- A prototype concept of the “Wall and People with Bamboo”
- Presentation and finding on Facebook by Angel on Colours, cultures and emotion, whereas I looked at Arduino with playing Wave/ sound as well as basic research on Kinect V1, Ralph investigated the further theory and concept such as “ Serendity”about Intimacy for our brief. After initial discussion our tutor (Brigitta ) we decided to use the new Kinect V2 for Windows for our demonstration project.
Time-lapse of people in the London Bridge
My London Time lapse By Sam Smith (2011) with Sound Effect
Space Recall – Free Viewpoint Project by Wei-Chih Lin (2012) with Kinect
WEDNESDAY 5th NOVEMBER
Ordering of the MP3 Trigger
Planning of the filming locations and drawing
Drawing of initial images for the locations-Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus stations Pictures
Google Chat and Facebook discussion
My London Time lapse for Intimacy
WEDNESDAY 12th NOVEMBER
Following our previous week discussion about “Time Lapse” concept in our project. This idea was further explored with our tutor as well as discussing any other concepts we have.
We explore the concepts of Intimacy and prominent leaders all over the world, and how their intimate moment could change the world. For instance, if there an intimate moment where a leader is dying; what would be his or her last intimate moment or who will he/she share that particular intimate moment with. We looked at historically events and movies to solidify our ideas. However, during the course of our research, we decided that old footage would be inappropriate for our project.
We were also inspired by the Berlin Wall Story in Augmented Reality:Using smart phone and tablet, users can view historical content about the Berlin Wall, in and near the locations where it used to stand. Content includes historical film footage, reconstructions of demolished sites, and stories about the divisive impact the wall had on Germany during the Cold War.
Berlin Wall Apps
We went back to our original ideas of using time lapse . The time lapse needed to be interesting, dynamic, provoking, engaging and relevant to the Technology mediated world.
Later on in the afternoon, we spent further 3 hours or more working on the implementation of the Arduino project, Ralph and I, spent the two-hour session programming and reconfiguration of the Sensor, while Angel and Evre, programming the MP3 Trigger. We could get the sensor and lightning working, however we are still having issues making the MP3 trigger.
By the end of the session, it was decided more work needed to be done to make it workable and functioning to the required standard. After spending hours/days on the Arduino programming and re-configuration, its was general decided we could not finish the Arduino hacking on time to meet our deadline. The idea of the sensors and MP3 trigger, is that when a user come near the projection screen or Special Wall, they would be able hear voice activated sound from one of the 2 speakers near the Wall, whether the left or right side speaker depending on the positioning of the user to the object. As we are having some many challenges and issues delivering this particular Arduino concept within the timeframe of our project, we decided to find an alternative solutions to our predicament.
SATURDAY 15th, MONDAY 17th & TUESDAY 18th NOVEMBER
Last minute preparations for the group resulted in us meeting at the end of both these days and working on into the evening. As well as continuous meeting online and Facebook where possible. I must admit, this is a complete strange way of collaboration and working for me, but at the end day this seem to work out fine for the group.
We finalised our presentation on Tuesday evening had a trial setup of equipment ; sound check,video check, and wiring of speakers – to get the desire sound effect , as well as making sure there is no Health and Safety concerns. We had to work so hard over the weeks to deliver a fairly impressive practice base outcome.
On the day of the presentation, we were the second group to present our interpretation of “Courting Intimacy in the Digital Age”, the overall feedback was good and have the desire effect.
All the MA students groups and tutors gathered together in level one (Open Space) to listen to all 7 presentations. However, we were apprehensive before the given the presentation that others presentations would be better than ours!. Despite two other interesting presentations our level of confidence gradually grew towards the end of the day, that we have at least delivered a presentation that would reflect the MA practice base project.
An Individual’s Perspective and Perception:Courting Intimacy in the Digital Age
For this project we explored the definition of Intimacy in this digital world. What does intimacy mean to different people and examine historical events. How does the new world affect intimacy. Have we so connected to our machines that we have lost our ability to be sociable and lost face to face contact or communication. What technologies tool out there to improve and encourage better user interaction and engagement.
Courting Intimacy in the Digital Age
For this project our research focusing on creating a better user experience and a prototype short video to demonstrate our “Courting Intimacy in Digital Age”
“The Goldilocks Effect”- not too close, not too far just about right. We prefer the controlled, editable, deletable world of texting and Facebook to the messy world of actually talking to others – Sherry Turkle , 2012
- Emma M.Seppala (2012) Vulnerability, The Secret To Intimacy: The Vulnerability many fear is the secret of successful relationships. Psychologytoday.com [Online], 4 September 2012. Available:http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/feeling-it/201209/vulnerability-the-secret-intimacy (Accessed: 17 November 2014)
- Emma M.Seppala (2013) The Science of Social Connection. TEDx Hayward [Youtube], 18 July 2013. Available:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlXJnlmAXt0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUzno-z2lWDjrjU9J3Xd-L3Q (Accessed: 17 November 2014)
- Kelly Flanagan (2013) The 5 Barriers to Empathy in Marriage and How to Overcome Them. Dr Kelly Flanagan [online], 6 March 2013. Available:http://drkellyflanagan.com/2013/03/06/the-5-barriers-to-empathy-in-marriage-and-how-to-overcome-them (Accessed: 14 November 2014)
- Sherry Turkle (2012) Connected, but Alone. [TED Talk ],Available: http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together?language=en (Accessed 15 , November 2014)
- University of Chicago (2009) Loneliness Affects How The Brain Operates. Science Daily [online], 17 February 2009 . Available: thttp://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090215151800.htm (Accessed: 14 November 2014)
- PCBGadgets (2012) Capacitive Touch Proximity Sensing Switch, , 25 December 2012. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKL_Q7vfkFw (Accessed:1 November 2014)
- Human HardDrive (2013) Capsen:Capacitor Swicth,[Youtube], Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jco-uU5ZgEU (Accessed:1 November 2014)
- Pebble Soup (2012) Capacitve Sensor: Theory, Application and Design [Youtube], 7 April 2012. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QItuf6lNvmI (Accessed: 1 November 2014)
- Pebble Soup (2012) How the Capacitance touch Sensor (button-switch) Work [Youtube], 7 January 2011. Available:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GmIkyEzHnk (Accessed:1 November 2014)
- Adam Clarkson (2011) LED Arduino Clock, [Youtube], 4 Nov 2011. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4RwP0UK8gM (Accessed: 1 November 2014)
- Graham Monaham (2010) Interactive Proximity Sensing Table modules, Infrared sensors,[Youtube], 7 May 2010. Available: http://youtu.be/h5n0rw8wo14 (Accessed : 1 November 2014)
- Interactive LED Floor, http://www.mediatecgroup.com/products-and-services/display/interactive-led-floor