The game: Bake the Cake
The assets (materials) and characters were designed using Adobe Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC. We also intend to incorporate the Kinect for head tracking, skeletal tracking, Active IR and Hi-def 3D Vision.
Our initial research was to use Nintendo Wii for Head tracking and 3D element. This is a very low cost technology, for about ten pound (£10.00) we could design a 3D game and environment, but this technology (Nintendo Wii) is no longer widely supported and challenging to implement within the time frame of this project. Further research and also in consultation with our lead tutor, we discussed more other viable technologies options that meet our current requirement.
The storyline started with a chef creating a list of ingredients for a cake. He looked at what time its is and then prepares to make the cake. By the time he finishes making the Cake is was to tired. He decide to take a quick nap – where would his dreams take him. This is where the story takes a whole different meaning and flow concept.
The design illustration
The Game Development Story
The entire purpose of the game is to travel through the different worlds and reach the end of the game within two minutes. There are three worlds; cheese, chocolate and sugar ( all based on ingredients used in the cake ) and each levels is designed with a level of difficulty and engagement. The researched behind this is from our finding about different gameplay and engagement in existing games while as the same time to implement a gaming experience that is immersive, enjoyable and entertaining.
Engagement and Challenging for the Game
In this game scenario, the user has been set a task to collect the chef hats without touching the mushrooms ( mushrooms are bad for you in this game).
Please click on the link “Bake the Cake” to download this game.
Future Development Plan
In future development plan, we hope to enhance Unity and then use new features in Kinect version 2 for Windows.
Related articles and Projects:
Nintendo Wii information
- Wiinote (Nintendo Wii) is a gamepad and contoller, released on Nov 19 2006.
- Some key Features of Wiinote are:
- infrared detection
- LEDs in the Sensor Bar
- Physical gestures as well as button-press
- low cost
- Johnny Lee (2007), ‘Head tracking for Desktop VR Displays using WiiRemote’,[Youtube], 21 Dec 2007. Available:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw (Accessed 12/10/2014)
- Johnny Lee (2008), ‘Wii Remote Hacks at TED 2008’, [Youtube], 4 January 2008. Available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H1zrLZwPjQ (Accessed 12/10/2014)
- Carles Cano Valls (2008),’How to build an UR pen’, [Youtube], 6 Feb 2008. Available:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I568NyZLJkY (Accessed 7 October 2014)
- Anthony Wing Kosner (2013),’Leaf Motion Controller Leaps forward with software sharpens focus with Apps’, [Online], Forbes, 23 November 2013, Available: http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/11/23/leap-motion-controller-leaps-forward-with-software-sharpens-focus-with-apps/ (Accessed 22 september 2014)
- David Birnbaum (2012),’ Haptic design, keynote presentation’, Immersion Corp. [YouTube], 24 January 2012. Available:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVjlYLlUGSk (Accessed 22nd September 2014)
- The Gadget Show (2011), ‘Ultimate Battlefield 3 simulator – Build & test’,[ YouTube], 24th October 2011. Available: http://youtu.be/eg8Bh5iI2WY (Accessed 22nd september 2014)
- ByDesignGames (2010),’ Uniwii Plugin for Unity 3D,’ [Online] , 26 October 2010. Available:http://www.bydesigngames.com/portfolio/uniwii-plugin-for-unity3d (Accessed 5 October 2014)
- Beginner Scripting Guide to Unity (2013) Available:http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Beginner%27s_Scripting_Guide
- Unify Community(2014),’Unity Wizard,’ [Online], 31 January 2014. Available: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Wizards (Accessed 7 October 2014)
- James Arndt (2012), How to Switch between Camera in Your Scene – Unity 3D, [Youtube], 6 April 2012, Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWZb39rpCBg (Accessed 8 October 2014)
- Unity (2014), Camera movement Tutorial,'[Online]. Available: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/stealth/camera-movement (Accessed 8 October 2014)
- Unity (2013), ‘Stealth Game tutorial -301,’ [Youtube], 9 April 2013. Available:http://youtu.be/JnRB_GDW6CU (Accessed 9 October 2014)
- Richard Harrington (2014), ‘Camera Perspective Editor,’ [online] Unity, 20 May 2014. Available:http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/asset-store/camera-perspective-editor ( Accessed 9 October 2014)
Xbox 360 Controller setup and Keymapping in Unity 3D
- Microsoft (2014),’Download and install driver for Xbox 360 Controller for Windows,[Online], Available:http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows, (Accessed 07 October 2014)
- CanUSayBanana(2012),’How to setup Xbox 360 controller for windows (Wired),'[Youtube],19 Sep 2012. Available:http://youtu.be/5pVkC6aQojM (Accessed 9 October 2014)
- Eugene Ch’ng (2014), ‘Unity 3D Xbox 360 Controller setup’, [Youtube], 12 June 2012, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z591NmskYcY (Accessed 8 October 2014)